DR. ANDREW C. KADAK - SENIOR CONSULTANT NUCLEAR has an international reputation in the nuclear energy field as well as the broader power generation arena, with deep experience in the development of advanced reactors, improved technology-neutral licensing standards for advanced reactors/small modular reactors (SMRs), operations, management, and decommissioning issues of existing nuclear power plants, and even space nuclear power systems. He has supervised research on the design, safety, proliferation, fuel performance, waste disposal concerns and economics of nuclear facilities, including high temperature pebble bed gas reactors. Dr. Kadak’s expertise ranges from day-to-day operations of nuclear plants to senior executive management issues for electric utilities, governments, and educational institutions. He has served on safety review boards of nuclear utilities, presently consults on decommissioning of nuclear plants, and has recently been working on hybrid fusion energy systems and sodium cooled fast reactors.
Dr. Kadak’s expertise ranges from reactor physics to power conversion and safety analysis, through engineering systems. He offers worldwide multidisciplinary expertise and rapid response capabilities to provide stewardship in addressing complex engineering, scientific, and management problems.
His positions have included:
- Principal and Director of Nuclear Services at Exponent, Inc.
- SMR subcommittee of the Secretary of Energy’s Advisory Board,
- Professor of the Practice in the Nuclear Engineering Department of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
- Principal author of the MIT fuel cycle study
- President and CEO of Yankee Atomic Electric Company,
- President of the American Nuclear Society in 1999/2000,
- Board and executive committee member of the Nuclear Energy Institute and the industry’s Advisory Committee on High Level Waste,
- Member of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners special panel on high level nuclear waste and the Aspen Institute’s “Dialogue on Nuclear Waste Disposal”,
- Advisory Committee on External Regulation of Department of Energy Nuclear Safety,
- Appointed by the President to serve on the US Nuclear Waste Technology Review Board,
- Member of the Senior Nuclear Safety Oversight Board of the Daya Bay nuclear power stations in Guangdong Province in China,
- Chairman of panel providing suggestions to the DOE’s Nevada Test Site,
- Member of the Rhode Island Atomic Energy Commission,
- International speaker: more than 70 lectures and speeches on topics related to the technical and business aspects of nuclear power.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
‑ Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering - Reactor Physics (1972)
‑ M.S., Nuclear Engineering (1970)
Northeastern University ‑ M.B.A. (1983)
Union College ‑ B.S., Mechanical Engineering (1967)
Office (770) 919-7070
Fax (770) 919-9200